Worthing herald dating

Rated 3.94/5 based on 788 customer reviews

We will welcome comments and ideas about these via the Contact Us page.You can read more about the Estate and what we do for Sompting's countryside on our Farming, Nature and History pages.On Teville Gate, councillors and planning officers will examine the plans and all the evidence before a final decision is made.Following the publication of the viability reports, available on the council’s online planning portal, the Herald approached Mosaic for comment.3) but in 1978 the earliest surviving houses there were of the early 19th century: a small group on the east side and one larger house in Upper High Street. 5) There seems also to have been scattered settlement further west, for the modern Victoria inn in Montague Street is perhaps 17th-century in origin. 6) The building of lodging-houses at Worthing is recorded in the 1790s (fn. Bath Buildings, later Bath Place, was also mentioned in 1811. 27) North of Montague Street, Chapel Street, later Portland Road, named after the Independent chapel at its southern end, was in existence by 1806, (fn. 37) East of the Steyne York Terrace, later Warne's Hotel, and Warwick Place, north of Brighton Road, had been built by 1826, and Alfred Place was built between 18. 38) A little further east Beach House was built in 1820, with grounds stretching down to the sea (fn.Some buildings possibly of the 18th century survived in 1978 at the east end of Warwick Street. 28) and four years later contained tradesmen's premises and second-class lodging-houses. 32) Apart from the area around Warwick Street, which was quite densely developed by 1812, much of the early development of the town was small-scale and scattered because of the fragmented ownership of land. 33) Later economic difficulties caused gaps between buildings and streets to be filled only slowly, giving a patchwork architectural effect to that part of the town. 34) Worthing nevertheless continued to grow after 1812. 35) New houses and terraces were built south of Montague Street; by 1826 the built-up area there had reached West Buildings, and by 1843 it had almost arrived at the Heene-Broadwater boundary. 36) Some streets in that area, for instance Surrey and West streets, seem to have been built for lower-class occupation, and much of the area had become a poor quarter by . 39) which later formed a barrier to the town's eastward development. 42) while on the other side of Chapel Road Union Place was laid out by 1826 to link the chapel to High Street. 43) In the same area were Worthing's two grandest contemporary building developments.

This free content was digitised by double rekeying. In the 18th century, and probably earlier, the hamlet of Worthing comprised the modern High, North, and Warwick streets. 1) There is some archaeological evidence for a settlement at the south end of High Street between the 13th and 16th centuries. 2) One building dated 1762, of flint with brick dressings, survived in High Street in 1945, (fn. 16) and by 1804 there was at least one terrace facing the sea near by. 17) Ann and Market streets, north of Warwick Street, were recorded respectively in 18. Sumner or Summer Lodge, on the east side of Montague Place, was built . 23) and the west side of Montague Place was built between 18. 24) Further west King's Row and Prospect Place were recorded in 1807, (fn. 26) and Trafalgar Place, later Augusta Place, in 1811.

Guidelines suggested contributions of about £750,000 for affordable housing would have been due. The case saw planning officer Gary Peck state: “I think the happy days where we could write a policy and have a realistic expectation it will be adhered to in all circumstances have sadly gone.” An overhaul of the Kingsway Hotel, on Worthing seafront, a year later also encountered viability issues.

Around £235,000 was initially anticipated to build affordable housing, however a minimum payment of £100,000 was later agreed, giving the developer an estimated 13.92 per cent profit margin.

The commitment, however, could be conditional on a £7.8million grant from Homes England – an offshoot of the Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government – according to a viability report examining the plans.

In assessing the viability of the scheme, Nicholas Bignall, of consultants Turner Morum, wrote: “I understand the applicant is committed to seeing the scheme proceed at the level of affordable housing shown (despite the sizeable deficit), provided that they are able to secure grant funding from Homes England.”This equates to a profit margin of around 14.7 per cent, in relation to the £132million value of the development as a whole.

Leave a Reply